Chemo Brain

Warning: Blogger suffers from chemo brain-The struggle is real, y'all!

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Let's Remember to BREATHE!

Hey, Y'all!

I have really been neglecting my blog lately, and the only excuse I have is that sometimes "crap" just gets in the way! I'm really hoping to make blogging a significant priority in my life over the coming weeks! In order to do this, I will need to put up a bigger fight against some of the "crap" that prevents me from focusing on my blog and other things that are important to me.

A huge part of the "crap" that I am referring to is emotional stuff-stress, anxiety, and worry. These things can be physically exhausting as well as mentally crippling. I spend so much time worrying about EVERYTHING that I sometimes forget to just BREATHE!

It's pretty well documented that stress, worry, and anxiety can fuel cancer, age us prematurely, weaken our immune system, and increase the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

It seems there is always SOMETHING to worry about or stress over, and if we let them, theses things can consume our lives! They can rob us of our happiness, our faith, and our peace.

I have been so stressed over some insurance issues the past couple of weeks, that I was starting to feel it physically-NOT what someone needs when they are already fighting cancer.

I really have been trying some new (for me) methods of stress relief, such as being mindful of my breathing (weird that I have to remind myself to breathe?), taking short naps when needed, and even some meditation. I REALLY AM TRYING! Stress relief is just ANOTHER reason I miss running!

As I work on finding new ways to worry less and breathe more, I will try to remember these three things-

1. Constantly reliving the past can cause depression. 
2. Obsessing over the future causes anxiety. 
3. Only in living in the present moment can one find peace.

Peace? Yes, please!



Here are a couple of important (to me!) things that I have neglected to share with you all-

MY LAST CHEMO TREATMENT

I had my first chemo on October 21, 2016, and Monday, March 13, 2017, I received my last treatment! As excited as I am that the chemo is done and that it did its job, I am still a little nervous about the next step in my journey on the yellow brick road to being cancer-free!

Ringing the bell that signifies the last chemo treatment!

My favorite nurse, Becky presenting me with my Purple Heart Award!

Hubby Ray is happy I am done with chemo also!


ONTO THE NEXT PHASE OF MY JOURNEY

My surgery (Modified Radical Mastectomy) is scheduled for tomorrow morning at 8 am! Am I nervous? You bet! I am also anxious to get this part of my journey out of the way so that I am one step closer to being cancer-free!

I went for my pre-op yesterday, so now I just have to wait, pack a bag for the hospital, find a new book to read that will keep me busy afterward, clean the house a bit, try not to stress and of course-PRAY!

See y'all after my surgery! Let's all remember to BREATHE!!

Peace, Y'all-
Pam

2 comments: